The crew at Wight Vodka and Scuttlebutt Europe teamed up yet again to determine the yachting fraternity’s favourite bar the world over, and are thrilled to announce that Wight Vodka’s 2011 ‘First in Class’ prize is awarded to IYAC in Newport, Rhode Island!
IYAC came out on top due to the massive volume of votes received by their faithful patrons and their passionate submissions in the early rounds. It is fantastic to welcome them alongside the Soggy Dollar in the BVI who won 2010’s contest, and the Peter Café Sport in the Azores who claimed the podium in 2009. This year’s contest was tight between the winner and the runners-up, including the Bitter End Yacht Club in the BVI, the Royal Varuna Yacht Club in Pattaya, Thailand, the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club, Salty Mike’s in Charleston, South Carolina, the King & Queen in Hamble, England and the Pier View in Cowes on the Isle of Wight, the Dog Watch in Stonington, Connecticut, the Clubhouse Yacht Club in Breskens, Holland, and Nippers in Great Guana Cay in the Abacos.
Ritu Manocha, owner of 50° North, the company behind Wight Vodka, said “I’m so glad that IYAC won this year’s competition! A few of the Wight Vodka team members spend their time on and off the water around Newport and Block Island, and with the history of the America’s Cup being battled out for so many decades in those Rhode Island waters, it’s fitting that IYAC is crowned as the 2011 worldwide favourite yachting bar. They will receive a trophy and bottle of Wight to celebrate their win, and if you find yourself in Newport you must make your way to Thames Street and enjoy a few cocktails while spinning a few tales at IYAC!”
We, again, asked participants to comment about their favourite bar, and this year’s entries were both truly enjoyable if not inspirational. A sampling below for your reading pleasure!
- This place isknown as the drinking bar with a yachting problem.
- Their ‘Lemon Crash’ cocktail was named after one of their J-24s
- The bar supports the club…and vice versa!
- Stunning atmosphere, especially during West Highland Week!
- You never know if you’re going to see someone in a wedding dress or a swimsuit.
- The commitment of the owners and patrons to several major charity events, including being founders of ‘Sail for Pride’.
- Major respect to the great Jan! Pubs like this are definitely what Sundays are made of.
- $2.00 Bourbon Nights…Ooooh to be young again!!
- It’s a short walk for drinks after sailing.
- It’s walking distance back home!
- Okay, okay…they are a client of mine and are the fastest paying on the planet.
The only pub where you find the rock stars, pro sailors and keen weekenders mixing it up together.
About 50° North
50° North are the creators of Wight Vodka. The company’s spirit and enthusiasm for the ocean, coupled with the centuries-old regatta traditions of the Isle of Wight (and of course a full appreciation of superior vodka!) culminated in the creation of the world’s smoothest, 42% ABV potato-based vodka. One sip of Wight Vodka will make a believer out of the most discerning connoisseur, and the company welcomes your joining a unique and elite class. www.wightvodka.com.
Tack & Gybe Responsibly.